Responsible for working to obtain repayment for delinquent accounts. Works primarily as a revenue officer in the IRS. Sends out delinquent notices, prepares returns, and collects payments.
- Reach out to responsible parties to collect on a debt.
- Work for the IRS to collect on delinquent accounts.
- Compile reports and send to taxpayer.
- Work with revenue agents and tax examiners.
- Work with taxpayer to bring delinquent account current.
- Outline severity of delinquency to taxpayer.
- Send taxpayers notice of delinquencies.
- Develop repayment terms.
- Request that the IRS prepare an individual's tax return.
- Verify claims that taxpayers cannot repay debt.
- Examine documents such as bank statements, pay stubs, and previous tax returns to come to a decision.
- Investigate claims by researching court information on the status of liens, mortgages, or financial statements.
- Locate assets through third parties, such as neighbors or local departments of motor vehicles.
- Request legal summonses if records cannot be readily accessed.
- Decide whether IRS should take a lien to settle debt.
- Suggest if lien should be on real estate, automobile, or other asset.
- Garnish wages.
- Follow up with taxpayer on payment deadlines.
- Revise repayment terms if necessary.
- Maintain records.
- Update telephone numbers, addresses, and other pertinent information.
- Record actions taken.
- Purge records as needed.
- Call on experts to evaluate fraudulent tax returns.
- Review state tax returns.
- Obtain settlements.
- Issue subpoenas and seize property.